Introducing Maganizo Penti - Class of 2019
1) What inspired you to enroll at Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine?
Without my sponsor (boss) I could not have managed to be here. I have never attended any training school. Raised by a single parent (mother), what she earned was for the daily food - and nothing else.
2) What are you hoping to achieve there?
I’m hoping to achieve a lot here and I’m sure there will be some achievements that I am not expecting. The achieving will be great enough.
3) What do you hope to give of yourself?
Right now, I am trying to catch up with the system of learning. I will give myself all the attention so, whatever comes my way I will grab.
4) What is your long-term goal?
My long-term goal is to own my own restaurant. The knowledge I gain at my work place and what I will get here will help me achieve my goal.
5) In how many years do you hope to achieve this?
I hope I will achieve this in 15 years after leaving the school.
6) Who is your favourite international “foodie”?
Gordon Ramsey is my favourite. I started hearing about him a long time ago. I thought he was a football coach at first, but then I learnt more about him and he became my favourite.
7) If food had a personality, which dish would be most like you – and why?
Any type of lasagna, either meat or vegetable. Lasagna has got a big heart and it takes a lot of ingredients to make the tasty dish.
8) Where were you born and raised?
I was born and raised in Malawi. I am the real Malawian.
9) Apart from food what hobbies do you enjoy?
I am a fan of soccer and enjoy watching, as well as playing, the game. I also enjoy reading – novels, magazines and anything that is informative.
10) What dish do you find least inspiring and why?
“Bacon-wrapped Chicken Breast”, is least inspiring to me. Many people have a different opinion, but because it has a lot of bacon it does not inspire me at all.