ANGELO’S PISTO CON HUEVOS RECIPE
RECIPE FOR PISTO CON HUEVOS
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 red bell peppers chopped into chunks
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- a few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 4 bay leaves
- 100g mushrooms
- 2 courgettes chopped into chunks
- 1 aubergine chopped into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 4 large eggs
- Oryx Desert salt and Oryx Desert pepper to taste
- small bunch parsley leaves roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or a cast-iron skillet over a low heat. Add the onions and a grind of Oryx Desert salt, cover and cook gently for 15 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Next, throw in the peppers and cook over a medium heat, covered, for about 5 mins, stirring every so often, until the peppers are just tender.
- Mix in the oregano, thyme, bay leaves, some black pepper and salt, if needed. Tip in the mushrooms, courgettes and aubergine, combine thoroughly, and cook over a medium heat, covered, for 10 mins. Stir in the tomatoes, cover and cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully crack the eggs over the pisto – try not to break the yolks season them with Oryx Desert salt and Oryx Desert pepper. Cook on top of the chunky vegetable sauce on a medium heat for 5-6 mins with lid on until the eggs are cooked through but still a little soft(can leave longer if you don’t like runny yolks), then scatter with parsley before serving