Cheri Kustner's Steamed Buns with Korean Fried Chicken Recipe
Cheri’s Steamed Buns with Korean Fried Chicken
- 500g plain CHAMPAGNE VALLEY STONEMILL flour
- 50g castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon ORYX salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 150ml water
- 100ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons SUNFOIL PLATINUM vegetable oil (for greasing)
Korean Fried Chicken:
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon ORYX salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 600g chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 500ml SUNFOIL PLATINUM vegetable oil for frying
- 2 fresh red chillies (split and deseeded)
- 60g honey
- 50ml light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 50 ml water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Sesame seeds
- Finely sliced green and red chillies
- Finely sliced spring onion
- Fresh coriander
For The Buns:
- To make the steamed buns, mix together the plain flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and yeast, making sure the yeast does not come into contact with the salt.
- Create a well in the dry mixture, add the milk, cream and water. Bring together with your hands, and proceed to knead the dough for 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Oil a bowl, and place the dough into the bowl. Oil the surface of the dough, cover with cling-wrap and prove in a warm area for an hour or until doubled in size. Roll out the dough into a sausage shape, and cut 80g portions then flatten and roll into circles about 1 cm thick. Using your finger, rub the surface of the circles with some vegetable oil, then carefully fold each circle in half onto its self creating semi circles. Make sure not to compress or merge these folds as your filling will be placed in between them. Cover the folded buns with a damp cloth and leave to prove for another 20 minutes.
- To steam the buns, bring a little water in a saucepan to the boil. Place a bamboo steamer (or a wire rack covered with a bowl) over the saucepan. Line the bottom of a steamer with grease proof paper. Place 4 or 5 buns into the steamer at a time, and steam for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, add the filling and serve!
For the Korean Fried Chicken:
- Combine the cornflour, ginger powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Trim the fat from the chicken thighs and slice into quarters. Toss the chicken in the corn flour mixture coating the chicken well.
- For the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes until reduced almost by half. Make sure to watch this process as the sugar can burn quickly and your sauce will become bitter. Set aside.
- Fry the chicken in the vegetable oil for 5-10 minutes in batches, checking for doneness (the size of your pieces will depend on how long you fry them). Drain on kitchen towel.
- Finally bring the glaze back up to heat and pour it over your fried chicken, mixing well so the chicken is completely coated. Divide the chicken amongst the buns, adding some extra glaze into the buns, garnish with sesame seeds, sliced green and red chillies, spring onion and fresh coriander.