Introducing Sbonga Clifford Thwala - Class of 2018
Sbonga Clifford Thwala
1. What inspired you to enrol at Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine?
I have followed Jackie Cameron for years and become a fan of her marvellous work. I knew I wanted to be trained by the best in the business of food and fine dining. I was in contact with her for about three years before enrolling, and in 2018 my dream became a reality. She just does things properly.
2. What are you hoping to achieve here?
To refine and master the skills of cooking the finest mouth-watering food. Work with the best chefs in South Africa and the world. Empower and inspire more chefs by being the best. Add value by doing things properly as Chef Jackie teaches us.
3. What do you hope to give of yourself?
To work to the best of my ability and beyond. Persist and persevere and stay focussed on my goals and dreams.
4. What is your long-term goal?
Having owned a catering business and traditional restaurant over the past six years, I aim to operate a top-class catering business, own a wedding venue and, at a later stage, become a restaurant consultant.
5. In how many years do you hope to achieve this?
Five to seven years.
7. If food had a personality, what dish would be most like you – and why?
Creamy mushroom risotto served with seasonal vegetables and medium to well-done fillet steak topped with pepper sauce.
8. Where were you born and raised?
Kosi Bay, Northern KwaZulu-Natal.
9. Apart from food what hobbies do you enjoy?
Reading, travelling, gym, mentoring young people on life skills.
10. What dish do find least inspiring – and why?
Greasy, unhealthy, nutritionally-unbalanced meals.