Cara’s Thai Green Chicken Curry with Courgette and Feta Fritters:
Paired with the Protea Chenin Blanc 2015
Serves: 4 large portions
Thai Green Curry Paste:
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, sliced
- 4 Jalepeno Chillies, sliced
- 3 Green Chillies, sliced
- 1 ½ Baby/ Pickling Onions, sliced
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 pieces Ginger, peeled and grated
- 125ml Fresh Coriander
- 125ml Fresh Basil
- 2,5ml Ground Cumin
- 2,5ml Ground Coriander
- 15ml Soya Sauce
- 2,5ml ORYX Salt
- 30ml freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- 5ml Brown Sugar
- 60ml Coconut Milk, just enough to combine
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend together to form a paste.
- 50ml RIO LARGO Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Breasts, cut into strips
- 2 medium Onions, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 punnet Baby Corn, sliced into chunks
- Full amount of the Thai Green Curry Paste, made above
- 1 tin Coconut Milk
- 100gr Cashew Nuts, roasted
- In a pot heat half the amount of olive oil. Add the chicken strips and sear them to get a nice golden colour, but do not fully cook them. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining half of the olive oil using the same pot to get hot. Fry the onions and garlic until golden and caramelised.
- Add the corn, seared chicken strip and Thai Green Curry Paste, combining well.
- Then add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and allow the chicken to cook.
- Lastly add the cashews nuts and taste for seasoning.
Courgette and Feta Fritters:
Makes: about 15
- 300gr Courgettes, grated
- 2 Eggs, separated
- ½ bunch Spring Onions, sliced into thin rings
- 15ml Fresh Fennel, chopped
- 15ml Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 5ml Paprika
- 75gr Feta Cheese
- 75gr Self – Raising Flour, sifted
- ORYX Salt and Black Pepper
- SUNFOIL Sunflower Oil
- Start with de–gorging the grated courgettes, by placing the courgettes into a colander, sprinkled with salt over for 20 minutes, to allow all the water to drain. Rinse well and dry with a clean tea towl.
- Place the courgettes into a large bowl, add the egg yolks, spring onions, fennel, parsley and paprika and combine well.
- Crumble in the feta, mixing in carefully.
- Lightly fold in the self – raising flour.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peak and lightly fold this into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil. Shallow – fry the fritters by dropping spoonfulls of mixture into the heated oil. Turn around the fritters around, fry until golden and cooked through.
- Best served straight away with the curry, sour cream and fresh coriander.