Carroll Taylor's Nanaimo Bars
Yield: 12 pieces
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp. cocoa
1. Melt the above ingredients in a double boiler and add to:
- 2 cups crushed (fine) whole wheat digestive biscuits
- 1/2 cup medium coconut or fine
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2. Place in small square pan 8x8 and press down evenly.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp. custard powder
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp milk or more - enough to make it easy to spread but not too runny
1. Beat together and spread over first layer above.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 250g -500g dark chocolate (in the photo I used white this really depends on you, brown chocolate is more common) - sometimes I use a little more so it is a thicker top.
1. I put it in the fridge until the chocolate hardens a little and then I score through to yellow layer so it will cut easily without the chocolate top breaking.