Georg Lens' Gammon and Gluhwein
- Gammon with skin on
- 3 Carrots (chopped)
- 1 Onion with 7 cloves pushed into it
- 10 peppercorns
- Cloves to push into crosses
- 250ml fresh Lemon or Apple Juice
- 30ml brown sugar
- 30ml Honey
- 5ml Ginger
Cooking the Gammon:
- Place the gammon into a pot. Cover the gammon with cold water. Add all the other ingredients to the pot and bring to the boil. The cooking time for gammon is 30 minutes per 500g.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- When the gammon has finished cooking take the pot off of the heat and let it cool in the water for at least 30 minutes. After cooling carefully take the gammon out of the water and remove the skin.
- Cut the gammon diagonally both ways and push cloves into the each of the crosses.
- To make the basting sauce add all the ingredients to a pan on the heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the gammon to an oven tray and baste the gammon very well in the sauce, keep some sauce back for basting during baking. Put the gammon into the oven for an hour, every now and then baste the gammon in the sauce.
- Serve the gammon hot or cold with accompaniments of your choice.
- 500ml Red Wine
- 50ml Water
- 20ml Cinnamon
- 2 Star Anis
- 5ml Vanilla extract
- 5ml Nutmeg
- 1 Orange Sliced
- 10 Cloves
- Sugar to your liking
How to make the Gluhwein:
- Pour the wine and water into a pot together and keep on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let the gluhwein simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.