Rose Apple Pie
ROSE APPLE PIE
Makes: 1 pie
- 250gr CHAMPAGNE VALLEY STONEMILL Cake Flour
- 15ml Icing Sugar
- 150gr Salted Butter, chilled
- 1 Egg – Yolk
- 60ml Water, ice cold
- Sift the flour and icing sugar together.
- Add the butter, working it in with your fingertips, it should look like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and water, to form a dough.
- Plastic wrap the pastry and allow this to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out and line the pie dish with this pastry, dock (or prick) with a fork and place back into the fridge to get cold and firm for at least another 2 hours.
- Bake blind with rice/ beans at 200⁰C for about 25 – 30 minutes or until cooked. (Note: to bake blind a tart case, means to partially or completely bake the tart case before filling it. When blind baking, the tart case is line with parchment/ baking paper and then filled with uncooked beans or rice, and then baked. This prevents the crust from puffing up while it bakes. After baking, the beans or rice are removed and the tart case is filled.)
- 60gr Salted Butter, soft
- 125ml Brown Sugar
- 5ml Vanilla Extract
- 1 Whole Egg
- 125ml CHAMPAGNE VALLEY STONEMILL Cake Flour
- 5ml Baking Powder
- 100ml Full Cream Milk
- 8 (900gr) Pink Lady Apples, de – cored, cut in half and then thinly sliced
- 45ml Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Icing Sugar, for dusting over when serving
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the vanilla and egg, mixing well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, adding to the creamed mixture, alternatively with the milk.
- Place the mixture into the prepared pie base and bake in a pre – heated oven of 180⁰C for 10 minutes (you don’t want the mixture fully cooked, as you want to be able to stick in the apple roses, but also not undercooked as the roses will then not hold its shape).
- While cooking place all the apple slices into a bowl with the lemon juice and cover with water. Place in the microwave for a few minutes, about 2 – 3 minutes, until the apples are just soft enough to bent and shape them, without snapping them. Also be careful though not to overheat them.
- Remove the apples from the water, drying them slightly. Take apple slices and form rose shapes, rolling a few slices around each other; creating different sizes. As you finish rolling a rose, stick it into the half – baked filling in the pie case. Keep going until the entire pie shell is filled with the apple roses and the pie filling is not visible.
- Place the apple pie back into the oven for a further 10 minutes, until completely cooked.
- When cooked dust with icing sugar and serve.