Makes: 6 rolls
- 500ml Gram Flour/ Chickpea Flour
- 250ml Mielie Meal (Maize Meal)
- 125ml White Bread Flour
- 15ml fine ORYX Salt
- 2.5ml Turmeric Powder, freshly grated if possible
- 5ml Ginger Powder
- 5ml Fresh Garlic, grated
- 20ml Durban Masala or hot and spicy Masala
- 10ml Garam Masala or hot and spicy Masala
- 10ml Cumin Seeds
- 15ml Desiccated Coconut
- 10ml Fresh Coriander, chopped
- 50ml SUNFOIL Sunflower Oil
- 2ml Bicarbonate of Soda
- 40ml White Sugar
- 200ml Vinegar
- 200ml Warm Water
- Amadumbie Leaves or Spinach as a substitute
- SUNFOIL Sunflower Oil, for frying
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add the oil and crumble together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and make a soft spreadable batter.
- Scrape and thin the veins out of the Amadumbie leaves, wash and dry.
- Lay the leaves flat down, shiny side down and pointed end away from you.
- Apply a thin layer of batter with your fingertips on the entire leaf.
- Fold the sides to meet in the centre.
- Spread some more batter over the leaves.
- Roll up tightly like a Swiss roll wrap in plastic leaves.
- Place in a pot of boiling water to poach for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool, remove the plastic, cut into slices and shallow – fry well on both sides. Drain on paper towelling and serve.