Mira Staszowska's Borscht/Beetroot soup
- 6 beetroot cleaned and wrapped in foil
- 0.5 tsp mix spices
- Black pepper
- 1,5 Tbs sugar
- 3 Tbs white spirit vinegar (I even added more to suit my palate, up to you)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 2 celery sticks sliced
- 1 parsnip grated
- Vegetable stock , enough to cover
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ½ cup fresh cream
- Sour cream for garnish
- Dill chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and bake beetroot until tender. Let it cool.
- Peel skin off and grate the beetroot.
- Spice with mix spices, salt ,black pepper, sugar and vinegar. They should not be to sweet or too sour. (It can be used as salad as well).
- Melt the butter in a pot (about 5 litre pot in size).
- Sauté onion in butter until glossy.
- Add all the rest of vegetables and sauté them with onions for another 3 minutes then just cover them with stock and cook until tender.
- Add tomato puree and prepared beetroot and more stock.
- Bring it to the boil and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add fresh cream and liquidise the soup. Adjust flavour.
- Serve topped with dollop of sour cream sprinkle with dill.