Gladys' Crumpets Recipe
Makes about 10 crumpets
- ¾ cup Cake Flour
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- 10 ml Baking Powder
- 1 Whole Egg
- 10 ml Salted Butter, melted
- 80 ml Full Cream Milk
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Lightly whisk the egg and add the melted butter.
- Mix the egg and butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk to the mixture. Do not allow this mixture to stand, shallow – fry immediately.
- In a frying pan add 20ml oil, you will be adding the oil as is needed, making sure not to make the crumpets too oily. Drop a tablespoon of the mixture, onto the hot pan, when bubbles appear, you turn the crumpet over. Do not overcrowd the crumpets within the pan; allow enough space to turn them over. Cook them golden on both sides, serve straight away with thick dollops of whipped cream and maple syrup.