Cameron’s Chocolate Sponge Cake
Makes 1 layer cake
- 125 g salted butter
- 315 g castor sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 200 g cake flour
- 30 ml cocoa powder
- 15 ml baking powder
- 185 ml full-cream milk, at room temperature
Creamy Cocoa and Milk Icing:
- 15 g salted butter, softened
- 400 g icing sugar
- 60 ml cocoa powder
- 90 ml full-cream milk, at room temperature
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light in colour.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking each one in completely, then add the vanilla extract.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture. Once all the ingredients have been incorporated, use an electric mixer to whisk on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between two lined and greased 22 cm cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes, or until cooked. Remove the cakes from the pans and place on a wire rack to cool down.
- Whisk the butter until smooth. Slowly start adding the icing sugar and cocoa powder, making sure all the butter is worked in. Continue adding the icing sugar and cocoa powder alternately with the milk until everything is integrated and the icing is smooth and glossy.
- When the cakes are cool, sandwich together with the icing and top with a thick layer of icing.