Chocolate Peppermint Crisp Sponge Cake
Yields : one cake of 22cm
- 125gr Salted Butter
- 375ml White Sugar
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 5ml Vanilla Extract
- 375ml Cake Flour
- 30ml Cocoa Powder
- 10ml Baking Powder
- ¾ cup Full Cream Milk
- Pre–heat the oven to 180⁰C and line and grease two 22cm oven pans/ cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light in colour.
- Add the eggs one at a time, to ensure complete whisking, then add the vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add alternatively with the milk.
- Once all the ingredients have been added and incorporated, put the whisking on a high speed for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between the two oven pans/ cake tins and bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked. (For the Hilton festival we baked this as one cake and then sliced this horizontally and iced the cake between the cake layers and on top. This then took about an hour to cook.)
- Remove from the oven pans/ cake tins and allow the cakes to cool down.
Creamy Cocoa and Milk Icing
- 15gr Salted Butter, soft
- 400gr Icing Sugar
- 30gr Cocoa Powder
- 90ml Full Cream Milk
- 100gr Peppermint Crisp Chocolate, chopped
- Whisk the butter and slowly start adding the icing sugar, to ensure all butter lumps are worked through the icing sugar. Continue slowly adding the rest of the icing sugar and the cocoa powder alternatively with the milk to the butter mixture.
- When the cake is completely cooled, place icing between the two layers of cake and all around the outside.
- Place the chopped Peppermint Crisp Chocolate on the top and serve.