Yields: 1 deep pan size dish. 18cm x 14cm
- 250 ml Lentils
- 30 ml Sunflower Oil
- 1 medium Onion - grated (about 200g)
- ½ t Salt 1 ½ t Turmeric 1 t Durban Masala
- 1 t Cumin
- 2 slices Bread
- 80 ml Milk
- 80 g Raisins
- 1 Apple - grated
- 2 egg s
- 160 ml
- Bay Leaves
- Soak lentils over night in cold water
- Cook the lentils until al dente or just cooked and set aside
- Heat a large pan. Add oil and sauté the onion off and add spices
- Soak the bread in milk
- Add lentils, raisin, apple, soaked bread to the onion pan and season very well
- Mix all the ingredients together and pack tightly in a greased 18x14cm pan
- Top with egg and yoghurt mixture and garnish with bay leaves (Chef's note: you can half the yoghurt amount resulting in a reduced final cooking time.)
- Cover with tin foil and back at 180 ̊ C for 20 minutes. Take foil off and continue cooking until the custard topping is cooked about 20 minutes.
Please post your comments
and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.