Rebecca Bourhill's Bobotie
- 3 slices bread (I use rye bread and works as a good substitute)
- 1 cup + ½ cup milk
- 30ml SUNFOIL sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 20ml medium curry powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2ml turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750g beef mince (ground beef)
- 125ml chutney
- 1tbs apricot jam
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 20ml tomato paste
- Oryx Salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 bay leaves
- Soak the bread in 1 cup of milk.
- Fry the onions in 30ml of oil until soft.
- Add the curry powder, mixed herbs, cumin, turmeric and garlic and allow to cook for a minute or two.
- Add the meat and brown. Once the meat is browned add the chutney, apricot jam, lemon zest and juice, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper and give this a good mix.
- Squeeze the rest of the milk, do keep this milk, from the bread and put the bread in the meat mixture and place this in an oven proof dish.
- Sieve the milk that has come from the bread and add the other ½ cup of milk. Beat in the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour this over the meat and put the bay leaves on top.
- Bake this in a 180 degree oven for 45min or until golden brown.