- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Aromatics: 1 cinnamon stick, 2 bay leaves, ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 green chillies, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 5 curry leaves
- 2 Tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g beef fillet, cubed
- 250 ml tomato puree
- 250g chickpeas, cooked
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Put oil in a large saucepan, over moderate heat.
- Add aromatics and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent: about 5 mins.
- Add garlic, ginger, chillies, thyme and curry leaves. Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Add curry powder, coriander and cumin powders. Cook for 1 min.
- Add meat to pan. Cook, stirring, until all spices have combined.
- Add tomato puree, some chopped coriander, salt to taste.
- Allow to cook gently for about 15-20 mins on moderate heat.
- Lastly add chickpeas, allow to cook through for 5 mins.
- Garnish with coriander sprigs. Serve with basmati rice, roti and sambals.