Cara Conway’s Meringue Basket
- 4 Egg whites
- 250g Castor sugar
- 10ml Cornflour
- 5ml Vanilla extract
- 5ml White wine vinegar
- Pinch of ORXY Salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- You’ll need two baking trays lined with grease proof paper. On the underside of the paper draw circles with a circumference of 7cm, to mark the size of your meringue “baskets”. Draw 10.
- Start whisking egg whites, until soft peaks form as well as good volume, add the salt. Continue whisking and start adding the sifted castor sugar gradually one tablespoon at a time. Once sugar is incorporated the meringue should have reached stiff peaks, have a lovely gloss and be triple in volume, stop whisking. Gently fold in the sifted cornflour, vanilla extract and white wine vinegar.
- Using a tablespoon, shape your meringue baskets, hollowing the middle and building up the sides, so that you have a deep enough basket to fill with your cream and fruit. (You can also do this by filling a piping bag and doing circular movements to create these baskets) You should manage to make 10 baskets.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 150 degrees Celsius and place the meringues in to bake for 1 hour. After an hour, do not open the door, switch the oven off and leave to dry out overnight, or until they’re completely cooled down.