Whole Wheat Scones
Makes 12 small scones
- 250 g nutty wheat flour/brown bread flour
- 250 g cake flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 125 g butter
- 125 ml brown sugar
- 500 ml plain yoghurt or maas
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Rub butter into dry ingredients to resemble fine bread crumbs.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and fold in the yoghurt or maas so that it forms a soft dough.
- Lightly press out dough on a floured surface and use a scone cutter to cut out the shapes.
- Place on a greased baking tray and bake @ 200 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes.
Serve with sliced avo, low fat cottage cheese, Pumpkin Seed Pesto (see below) and smoked salmon.
Morning / Afternoon Snack
Serve with low fat cottage cheese and honey.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Makes a small jar +- 300 ml
- 250 ml pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic ground organic salt and pepper extra virgin olive oil
- Place pumpkin seeds on a baking tray and toast at 180 degrees for 10 minutes or until you hear the seeds starting to pop. Allow to cool.
- Blend together ingredients.
- Add enough olive oil to form a paste.
- Spoon the pesto into a sterilised jar, making sure olive oil covers the pesto to act as a seal.
- Refrigerate once opened and keep sealing with a little olive oil after you have used it.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.