- 750 ml oats
- 15 ml baking powder
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 62,5 ml raisins [optional]
- 250 ml skim milk
- 125 ml olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 62,5 ml brown sugar
- 62,5 ml flaked almonds
- Mix together the dry ingredients and raisins.
- Whisk together the skim milk, olive oil, eggs and brown sugar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir well.
- Pour into greased baking or casserole dish (17 x 26 cm) and allow it to stand overnight.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and a little extra cinnamon.
- Bake @ 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Portion into squares.
- Serve with baked cinnamon crusted apples and low fat plain yoghurt.
Cinnamon Crusted Apples
- 125 ml castor sugar
- 4 small apples
- 3 egg whites
- Mix the cinnamon and castor sugar together.
- Dunk the apples into the egg white and toss into the cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Serve with baked oats and low fat plain yoghurt.
Although any type of oats will do, the healthiest option to use in this recipe would be whole rolled oats. These contain more fibre and nutritional value than the processed and instant varieties of breakfast oat porridges. (Whole rolled oats are perfectly round, as opposed to irregular in shape. They will offer increased sustainability, as well as extra crunch!)
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.