Apple Puff Tart
Yields: 12/6 Large Portions
- 6 Apples, peeled, decored and cut in half or quarters depending on apple size
- 2 Star Anise
- 125ml Treacle Sugar
- 2 Bay Leaves, fresh
- 200ml Orange Juice
- 1 Lemon, cut in quarters
- 1 Orange, cut in quarters
- 750ml Red Wine
- 1 roll Puff Pastry, I do recommend making your own as nothing can compare to this
- 2 Egg Yolks, lightly whisked
- Put all ingredients into a pot and simmer for about ten minutes.
- Leave the apples overnight in the refrigerator to absorb and infuse.
- Remove these apples from red wine mixture and place on paper towelling so excess moisture is remove.
- Change paper when necessary and leave them on this paper for as long as possible - overnight would be ideal.
- Cut a nice size round of puff pastry (9cm cutter), glaze with egg yolk, top with an apple piece and a drizzle of honey.
- Oven bake at 200°C until the puff pastry is fully cooked.
- Serve hot with below amarula ice cream.
Amarula Ice Cream
Yields: about 1.5 litres
- 175ml Amarula liqueur
- 1 litre cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 250g white sugar
- Heat the Amarula and cream in a pot.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar well. Add the warm cream to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Return mixture to the stove and cook in a double boiler to form custard. Strain and cool overnight.
- Churn in an ice cream machine. If an ice cream machine isn't available place chilled mixture into freezer.
- Whisk every 30 minutes until frozen to create a light, fluffy ice cream.