East Coast Radio's 'What's Cooking' left Durban earlier this month and headed into the KZN Midlands to Hartford House, where they joined me in the Hartford Kitchen to go through one of my East Coast Tables: The Inland Edition recipes: Afro Avo!
Stylish and tasty, this dish is served as the cheese course on the Hartford House tasting menu. And yes, that is a 'Fro comb' I use to texturize the avo!
- 3 small avocados
- 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300g (2 logs) ash-coated chevin
- 3 pieces coppa or Parma-style ham, oven dried, roughly broken
- ½ red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 kiwi fruit, skinned, sliced, quartered
- 12 tiny tips fresh mint
- A grind of black pepper, per plate
- A drizzle of virgin olive oil, per plate
- 12 butter-coated, oven dried slices of home-made melba toast
Mix avo, lemon juice and seasoning into a puree. Comb avo onto a stylish plate or slate. Place all other ingredients beautifully, finishing with crisp melba toast.